Thursday, February 10, 2011

...and a Happy New Year!

 Thus far this has been a happy new year. After Christmas before New Year's we got a 10-day visit from our friends from America. It was such a breath of fresh air. Not to say that the air was stale, but you get the point. For about a week we made preparations for their arrival. We cleared our schedule and decided we would have a little vacation ourselves, like the rest of the country. A lot of things were closed around this time. Literally, there were places that closed for Christmas and didn’t open up till after New Year’s. There were a lot of pretty Christmas decorations up still.

New Years eve we went to church you know to go out with a bang (spiritually). The rest of Suriname was really going to end the year with a bang, really BIG bangs! At 11:30 p.m. the pre-show began. Once midnight struck all you saw in the sky was fireworks. Ping, Bang, Zwing, Suuuu…POP! For like 30 minutes straight. If you think you are a deep sleeper trust me you wouldn’t be able to sleep through this. I know ‘cause I didn’t and I sleep real deep. In the morning there was thick smog all over. It cleared up after 8 in the morning. I won’t be home for 4th of July weekend but with all the firework action I got here in Suriname I think I’ll be o.k. for the next 3 Independence days!

Has your New Year been a bang…

No comments:

Post a Comment