Monday, April 4, 2011

Good Eats

I have almost eaten food from all the cultural/ethnic groups in Suriname. There are many places to good to find these different foods. Among all of them my favorite is the East Indian dish, roti and curry chicken. The restaurant that is most commonly visited for this delicious delight is Roopram Roti Restaurant. I am not trying to advertise, but if you are new in Suriname and can appreciate spicy Indian food, definitely you should visit Roopram. There are other Roti shops like Joosie's, which I have been meaning to visit, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

My husband's favorite food in LIFE is rice. Here in Suriname the Javanese have a unique rice that has definitely deepened his love for rice and it is called nasi, which means fried rice in Indonesian. Now this is not just any type of fried rice. This fried rice includes but is not limited to carrots, celery, chicken, corn [sidebar: just noticed 4 C's, if you put these four only your nasi is C to the fourth power] and other things that you may like to spice it up. To top it all off there is a sauce that they pour over while they fry to give it  the brown color and extra good flavor. Obviously sounds like I  like it to. I do, but I can get rice any day. 

Lovin' roti over rice...

1 comment: