Thursday, March 31, 2011

Saramaccan Greetings

Every morning "oo-fa-weki!" was the greeting I received the moment I stepped outside and it means good morning. Every person that you pass on the way will greet you this way and I responded "oo-weki-o!" Then you could be asked, "weki tanga?" which is like did you sleep well? My response could be "weki boon-boon!" (I slept good) or "weki wan-say wan-say" (I slept alright). There were many call and response greetings that really showed me the way the villagers cared to connect with you. In the afternoon the greeting was "oo-day-no!" my response would be "oo-day-o!".

These conversations through the day really showed me the care and interest they had for one another. To show how intertwined an open they are, a grown woman could be on her way to the river, to bathe, and after the call and response without being asked she would explain where she was going and what she was about to do. Simple living really allows you to take time and invest in your neighbor whom you pass by everyday. As a personal addition to my life it would be good to stop and greet people. Be simple and make time to find out what is going on, because just one minute invested could really make the difference in someone's life. Living among the Saramaccan people was really a joy and privilege.

Can't wait to go back...

No comments:

Post a Comment